[nmglug] Fast X Distribution for older hardware.

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 14:24:31 PST 2004

I have about a dozen machines with the following configuration:
PII-Celeron 300 Mhz
3 gig HD's
160MB RAM
3com 3c905b NIC
ATI Rage 3D on board
Yamaha Sound on board

I've been really hopeful that I could recycle these into some decent web
browsing machines but have been fairly disappointed with the results up to
this point.

I've used the Knoppix Live CD and the MEPIS (www.mepis.org) Live CD and
wasn't too impressed.  I've also installed the MEPIS distro onto the HD of
one machine just to see how it worked.  Again, fairly dismal.

I want to know if I'm asking too much for these older machines or am I
running  packages that are too top heavy?  I know that both Knoppix and Mepis
are Debian/KDE based distros.

Anybody have any experience with other distro's that might give me a speedy
yet user-friendly desktop and browser on these older machines?

Thanks

Tim