[nmglug] Fast X Distribution for older hardware.

Anthony Martinez pi at pihost.us
Tue Dec 14 14:34:37 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 02:24:31PM -0800, Tim Emerick
carved this out of pure phosphors:
> I have about a dozen machines with the following configuration:
> PII-Celeron 300 Mhz
> 3 gig HD's
> 160MB RAM
> 3com 3c905b NIC
> ATI Rage 3D on board
> Yamaha Sound on board
>
> I've been really hopeful that I could recycle these into some decent web
> browsing machines but have been fairly disappointed with the results up to
> this point.
>
> I've used the Knoppix Live CD and the MEPIS (www.mepis.org) Live CD and
> wasn't too impressed.  I've also installed the MEPIS distro onto the HD of
> one machine just to see how it worked.  Again, fairly dismal.
>
> I want to know if I'm asking too much for these older machines or am I
> running  packages that are too top heavy?  I know that both Knoppix and Mepis
> are Debian/KDE based distros.

Try using Debian Potato, with WindowMaker. a couple of friends of mine use it on
their 486/PPC 603 laptops, and it's fairly responsive.

KDE3 is WAY too heavy for these boxes, but potato's 2.2 install might be okay.

> Anybody have any experience with other distro's that might give me a speedy
> yet user-friendly desktop and browser on these older machines?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

panic("bad_user_access_length executed (not cool, dude)");
        2.0.38 /usr/src/linux/kernel/panic.c