[nmglug] umask per directory

Jason Schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Thu Feb 19 13:41:56 PST 2004

Hello all

My problem is that I am setting 'chmod 2775 dirname' (sub-dirs inherit
the gid from "dirname"). Thats fine and dandy, BUT... When a user
wonders into "dirname" and makes a folder the permissions will be 755
(from /etc/profile umask 022 or ~/.bashrc). I don't want to change this
globally. In other words I don't want users to auto write 775
permissions except where I say.  I can't figure a way around this! Does
anyone have a method for forcing the umask on a particular directory?
So, when they make a folder or sub-folder under "dirname" it will be 775
and when they make it under their home (or anywhere else) it will be 755??

Thanks
Jason