[nmglug] Wireless G with RH 9.0

Bob Knight bob at bobknight.net
Wed Feb 25 15:47:59 PST 2004

Dave Nystrom wrote:

>This is my first time to post to this mailing list.  I have an old desktop
>system that I have set up to dual boot Windows 95 and Red Hat 6.2.  I would
>like to set this system up with Red Hat 9.0 with a wireless g card so that my
>9th grade son could use it for internet browsing - he does alot of this as
>research for speech and debate tournaments.  I want to minimize the amount of
>money that I put into this fairly old system.  That is the reason I'm
>investigating having him use Linux.  If I could get this to work, I figure
>I'll only have to buy the wireless g desktop card.  I've thought about
>upgrading the system to Windows XP since I can't find a wireless g desktop
>card that supports Windows 95.  But then, since I only have 128 MBytes of ram
>in this system, I figure I'll have to also upgrade the ram and it will all
>just cost alot more.
>
>So, I'm wondering if anyone on this mailing list has any experience with
>setting up a wireless g desktop card with Red Hat 9.0 and could recommend
>what wireless g desktop card to get and where to find instructions on how to
>do this.  I'm using a Linksys Wireless G router at home.
>
>Also, does anyone know a good place to get Fedora distributions on CD?
>
>Thanks for any help,

I have used the madwifi drivers by Sam Leffler for (some) atheros g
chipsets with great success. I have
a mini-pci card in my laptop and use Mandrake 9.2. The kernel drivers
are the issue and should work
with most, if not all, distributions. There's a wealth of information on
the mailing lists (madwifi-user and
-devel). Check them out. The card even works with kismet, which is
pretty cool...

Cheers,
Bob