[nmglug] highmayhem festival plannings...

Sam Noble sam.noble at comcast.net
Wed Jul 21 09:23:17 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 09:23, joe at highmayhem.com wrote:
> I would be disappointed to not see a cd burning station happen,
> especially for the reason that it would be too popular. I have a couple
> of thoughts:

I don't think there's any question that we'll be having some CD-burning
stations. The thing that we're leaning away from is having the music
from the festival available as tracks that can be burned. But we will at
least have some kind of repository available to mix and match. That
what's I was referring to by goal #2
>2. Having a small (or big?) archive of other Free Music that can be
> >shared in the ways already mentioned.

> What if we had several systems set to burn? I will contribute a computer.
> Is it possible to build a machine that can burn several disc at once?

Yes, good and yes.
Joe are you interested in installing the GNU OS on your computer? I
think at the glug booth we are probably not interested in 'showcasing'
any non-free software :)

Another place those of you who's background is Free Music can help is in
assembling the repository, I imagine some of you have extensive
collections of music to which the licensing would be appropriate for
this project. So if you have such collections let us know soon so we can
arrange to make it available. If the collection is broad and good enough
the loss of the brand new material from the festival will not be so sad.
On a related note, I think I speak for the glug as a whole in saying we
are biased towards The Vorbis project's (www.xiph.org) free encoders,
and would prefer to be distributing .ogg or .flac files (perhaps the
Speex encoder is appropriate for certain performances too) over things
like mp3, Apple lossless encoder, monkey audio (and certainly over
things like windows media or RealAudio) So maybe we can get figured out
what the 'pool' of available music is, and get it into compression
formats that we can stand up tall next to while distributing it.

> maybe we could charge like $5 a disc (not for the music but for the
> service) and use that money for other free music accessibility projects
> such as a download site.

This is always a a possibility and at this stage I doubt anyone knows if
this will be necessary/wise/in-spirit etc.

sam