[nmglug] Getting DVDs to play in Debian/Knoppix install

Anthony Martinez pi at pihost.us
Mon Jul 26 07:28:14 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:51:16PM -0700, WA7BSZ
carved this out of pure phosphors:
> I  am new enough I hardly have use apt-get.  How do I get a listing of
> what packages are available for apt-get?  Is mplayer available using
> apt-get?

mplayer isn't available using the standard apt-get repositories, but if you add
one of these lines to /etc/apt/sources.list, it'll be made available.

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
deb http://pi.pihost.us/ unstable main

Replace unstable with testing or stable depending on what you use. the contents
of the sites are the same, I just mirrored it onto pihost.us because the nerim
site went down occasionally. Feel free to use it if you want.

> Last week I tried Mandrake 10, and from the beginning that played DVDs
> with sound just fine.  Knoppix-installed Debian doesn't seem to ahve
> that functionality.  SuSE 9.0 said they don't know of a legal player
> (that is from a year ago anyway).  But free-download Mandrake has one
> that works.  So I wonder what the story is here.

Playing DVDs on linux is technically illegal. You have to decrypt the DVD using
software that was the topic of a lawsuit (DeCSS).

> Is there a good place for info on apt-get.  I have read some of the
> online documentation, but nothing that tells me the basic stuff, like
> how to find a listing of what is available and what its name is so I
> can use it  in the apt-get command.

I prefer to use aptitude as a front-end to apt-get, unless i'm doing simple, one
package, selection.

> Kim

printk("; corrupted filesystem mounted read/write - your computer
        will explode within 20 seconds ... but you wanted it so!\n");
        2.4.3 linux/fs/hpfs/super.c