[nmglug] Getting DVDs to play in Debian/Knoppix install

WA7BSZ wa7bsz at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 23:51:16 PDT 2004

I  am new enough I hardly have use apt-get.  How do I get a listing of
what packages are available for apt-get?  Is mplayer available using
apt-get?

Last week I tried Mandrake 10, and from the beginning that played DVDs
with sound just fine.  Knoppix-installed Debian doesn't seem to ahve
that functionality.  SuSE 9.0 said they don't know of a legal player
(that is from a year ago anyway).  But free-download Mandrake has one
that works.  So I wonder what the story is here.

Also, that Mandrake made it so that partition magic just reported an
error filled partition.  It took a little doing to delete that install
and put Mandrake 9.2 on it, then upgrade it, and then partition magic
thought it was OK.  But I ended up erasing that, because in the upgrade
it lost my sound card.  I put debian on using the knoppix install to
hard disk.  That is a very fast install, and it picked up all the
hardware and looks nice.   But it doesn't play DVDs from the first like
Mdk 10.0 did.  It might be a good one for an install fest.  One
compressed CD has a lot on it.

Is there a good place for info on apt-get.  I have read some of the
online documentation, but nothing that tells me the basic stuff, like
how to find a listing of what is available and what its name is so I
can use it  in the apt-get command.

Kim