[nmglug] Connection Reset by Peer

WA7BSZ wa7bsz at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 17:46:58 PDT 2004

I have seen this "connection reset by peer" many times, and the most
recent is when trying to get X to work on Debian.  Somehow when trying
to start X, there was a "connection reset by peer".  A multiple
personality computer.  Maybe one server reset the connection of another
server, so X got nowhere.  So many times the error message does not
describe the real problem.  That would take a lot more time in writing
the software, testing to get the error messages, and then changing the
messages to correspond to what really happened.  Most developers don't
have time for that, don't want to do it, or don't know their imagined
reasons the error messages would pop up are not the real reasons they
are.

Like in dos, Bad Command or Filename.  Maybe it was a good command or
filename, but it wasn't in your path.  How about "I couldn't find that
command, you may have made a mistake in typing it or it might be in
some other directory."  If Microsoft wanted to be even more alienating
the message could have been "You messed up somehow, please get more
training before you try that again, perhaps in typing."

So, do we know where "Connection Reset by Peer" comes from?

Here is something from ebay pages:

"Should you receive the "Connection reset by peer" error message, it
means "the system is really busy" - try again in a few seconds. If you
hit "reload" as many times as it takes, you will eventually connect,
usually in a matter of seconds."

http://pages.ebay.com/help/welcome/connection-reset-error.html

So it is interesting, there is an example where they say, when you get
this error message it really means this.

Kim