[nmglug] Connection Reset by Peer

Kevin P. Karns kkarns at linuxmail.org
Tue Jun 22 16:35:25 PDT 2004

WA7BSZ wrote:

>I have seen this "connection reset by peer" many times, and the most
>recent is when trying to get X to work on Debian.

... and

>So, do we know where "Connection Reset by Peer" comes from?

As far as Anthony's original issue, i also run pppd at home, and i don't
have any entries like:
    "Unsupported protocol 'CallBack Control Protocol (CBCP)'"
in my logs.  Googling it shows stuff about a 10 year old MS protocol,
hmmm, sounds non-GNU.

At least we have GNU source code so these these things can be figured
out. :)

As far as the "connection reset by peer" issue, I only distinctly
remember seeing it in xchat.
... How about changing it all to Latvian for additional obscurity
"Savienojuma p?rtraukums"
... Curiously enough, the last message i got from my peers on the
#nmglug channel (balrog.nmglug.org) was:

    Jun 20 14:03:30 --- Disconnected (Connection reset by peer).

... which, looking at the xchat win32 source code, comes from util.c
errorstring() function, which if i read correctly, comes from the
recvfrom() function in windows winsock.dll which is returning an (10054)
error response aka 'WSAECONNRESET' because of a problem at the host,
which seems clear enough for me.  I'm sure my peers are not dangerous,
so i wouldn't suspect them ;) ... so ultimately, yes, the message is
inappropriate for this application also.  Maybe ... "balrog is fubared"
would be a more appropriate message?  I'll have to recompile it so it
does this instead:

    Jun 20 14:03:30 --- Disconnected (balrog.nmglug.org is fubared :( ).