[nmglug] samba,

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Mon Mar 15 10:59:58 PST 2004

Andres Paglayan wrote:
 > Hi,
 > Does somebody knows how should I tell iptables to accept samba connections?
 > It seems I have to open 139/tcp and udp/137/138.
 > hehe, but how...?
 > Thx,

According to my notes from when I set up my Samba server, you need ports 137,
139 and 1046 open.

I recall having problems with Windows machines being unable to find the server.
adding an lmhosts file on each windows machine works but opening port 1046 is
easier.

Gary put a short tutorial on firewalling on the NMGLUG web site at:
http://www.nmglug.org/tutorials_sysadmin.html#firewalling

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. Electrical Engineers.
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1300 Luisa St Ste 23
Santa Fe NM 87505
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com