[nmglug] removing xprt package

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 10:32:18 PDT 2004

I'm trying to remove the xprt package from my debian system but I'm having
some issues.  Can anybody shed any light?  I see that there is an error with
XProjectRoot but I don't know what that means and some fairly extensive
googling didn't shed any meaningful results.

TIA

Tim

debian:~# aptitude purge xprt
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  xprt-common xprt-xprintorg
  imagemagick pciutils
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 2474kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Writing extended state information... Done
(Reading database ... 23456 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing xprt-common ...
/etc/init.d/xprint: ## FATAL ERROR: Unknown XProjectRoot.
invoke-rc.d: initscript xprint, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing xprt-common (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
/etc/init.d/xprint: ## FATAL ERROR: Unknown XProjectRoot.
invoke-rc.d: initscript xprint, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
Removing xprt-xprintorg ...
/etc/init.d/xprint: ## FATAL ERROR: Unknown XProjectRoot.
invoke-rc.d: initscript xprint, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing xprt-xprintorg (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
 xprt-common
 xprt-xprintorg
Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to recover:
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
debian:~# dpkg --purge --force-all xprt-common xprt-xprintorg
(Reading database ... 23456 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing xprt-common ...
/etc/init.d/xprint: ## FATAL ERROR: Unknown XProjectRoot.
invoke-rc.d: initscript xprint, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing xprt-common (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
/etc/init.d/xprint: ## FATAL ERROR: Unknown XProjectRoot.
invoke-rc.d: initscript xprint, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
Removing xprt-xprintorg ...
/etc/init.d/xprint: ## FATAL ERROR: Unknown XProjectRoot.
invoke-rc.d: initscript xprint, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing xprt-xprintorg (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
 xprt-common
 xprt-xprintorg
debian:~#