[nmglug] Re: Installing X and KDE with Debian (still woody)

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 13:52:44 PDT 2004

Thanks for that VERY informative post.  I was just getting ready to write the
whole thing off.  :-D

Couple of questions:

1. What was I missing with the _apt-get install x-windows-system kde_?  Did I
also need to install the xserver-xfree86 package?  Is there something I could
do to have debconf reconfigure my entire xfree86 installation?

2. I liked wmaker but I had a hard time figuring out the simple things...like
after I minimized a process/program, how do I get it back?  wmaker is fine
for me but not for my kids.  They like the KDE interface.  Not sure how they
would like Gnome.  I haven't used it since Redhat.

3. I've been interested in using Sarge but I wasn't sure how to do that.
Thanks for the tip.  I've been using sid/unstable.  Do I just change unstable
to testing in my /etc/apt/sources.list file and do an apt-get update &&
apt-get dist-upgrade??

Thanks again for the response.