[nmglug] OpenBSD installed.....now what???

Jason Davis mohadib at openactive.org
Sat Nov 13 19:38:55 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 17:29, Tim Emerick wrote:
> I recently installed OpenBSD on my antique SparcStation5 (apparently there is
> a problem with my version of the sparcstation and linux).  I've heard of the
> ports application which is similar to debian's apt-get.
>
> OK, how do I get the ports application installed and running?  I keep running
> into brick walls on how to even get the thing installed.  With the debian
> apt-get I just browse http://packages.debian.org and find a package I might
> be interested in.  Then a simple apt-get install package installs everything
> for me.  How does ports work?
>
> What I have now is just the plain vanilla net-installed sparc OpenBSD
> (whatever the latest version is).  No X-windows.  Nothing beyond vanilla.
>
> Any pointers, help, urls would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Tim

Im no BSD guy .... but i think you just cd in into the ports dir , go
into the subdir you need ... i.e. if you wanted to install vim , it
might look something like this....

cd /usr/ports/editors/vi

then..
make
make install

... I think :p good luck There is also some sort of command to update
your ports list i would assume ... might want to run that first.

Thanks,
Jason Davis
mohadib at openactive.org
~
Know your dope fiend. You will not be able to see his eyes because of tea shades, but his knuckles
will be white from inner tension and his pants will be crusted with semen from jacking off when he
can't find a rape victim.