[nmglug] OpenBSD installed.....now what???

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 13 16:29:25 PST 2004

I recently installed OpenBSD on my antique SparcStation5 (apparently there is
a problem with my version of the sparcstation and linux).  I've heard of the
ports application which is similar to debian's apt-get.

OK, how do I get the ports application installed and running?  I keep running
into brick walls on how to even get the thing installed.  With the debian
apt-get I just browse http://packages.debian.org and find a package I might
be interested in.  Then a simple apt-get install package installs everything
for me.  How does ports work?

What I have now is just the plain vanilla net-installed sparc OpenBSD
(whatever the latest version is).  No X-windows.  Nothing beyond vanilla.

Any pointers, help, urls would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

Tim