[nmglug] Old PC parts to give away

Karl Hegbloom karlheg at laclinux.com
Sun Oct 3 13:58:42 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 13:43 -0700, Karl Hegbloom wrote:
> Sounds like there's a need in your area for someone to start a PC
> recycling center.  Here's what we have here in Portland, OR:
>
>  http://www.freegeek.org/

PS...

They are prepared to assist people in other communities with setting up
a FreeGeek in their own area.  I think they have documentation for a
starter-kit, how to get funding, how to set up a non-profit corporation,
stuff like that.  I think that the people who are the core staff are
getting a couple thousand dollars a month out of it, so it's not HUGE
income, but certainly better than Burger King --- they are able to eat
well and pay rent or whatever out of that; not totally hippie-poorhouse.
They fund with donations, grants, money from selling the scrap to
recyclers, and volunteer labor paid in computers.  It's quite the
hang-out.

--
     Karl Hegbloom                |Instant Messenger (no email here)
(o_  Los Alamos Computers Support |Jabber: karlheg at jabber.org
//\   http://www.laclinux.com     | Yahoo: karlheg
V_/_  mailto:support at laclinux.com |   MSN: karl_hegbloom at hotmail.com