[nmglug] Debian Startup Script

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 11:33:57 PDT 2004

Hey all.

I've been attempting to convert a startup script from Redhat to work on my Debian machine but being a bit of a noob it's greek to me.  Can someone help me out.  It's a script to startup BOINC as a daemon as the user boinc.

The original Redhat script is here (http://noether.vassar.edu/~myers/help/boinc/init.d-boinc).  I compared it to some standard debian scripts (atd, samba, etc) and I'm sure hacked it to pieces.  The original script worked once I commented out the redhat functions line (line 20??).  It was ugly and spewed error messages but it worked.  Here's what I have so far in my conversion process......it doesn't work. ...sigh...

Thanks - Tim

#!/bin/sh
#
# Debian GNU/Linux start/stop script to run the BOINC client as a daemon
# at system startup, as the boinc user (not root).
#
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
BOINCUSER=boinc
BOINCDIR=/home/boinc
BUILD_ARCH=i686-pc-linux-gnu
LOGFILE=boinc.log
ERRORLOG=error.log
BOINCOPTS="-allow_remote_gui_rpc"
PIDFILE=/var/run/boinc.pid

## Locate the working directory
if [ ! -d $BOINCDIR ]; then
  echo "Cannot find boinc directory $BOINCDIR "
  exit 1
fi

## Locate the executable with highest version
BOINCEXE=`/bin/ls -1 $BOINCDIR/boinc_*_$BUILD_ARCH 2>/dev/null | tail -n 1 `
if [ ! -x "$BOINCEXE" ]; then
  echo "Cannot find/run boinc executable $BOINCEXE "
  exit 2
fi
test -x $BOINCEXE || exit 0

## Functions: start/stop/status/restart
case "$1" in
  start)
        cd $BOINCDIR
        if [ ! -f client_state.xml ] ; then
          echo -n "BOINC client requires initialization first."
          echo -ne "\t[FAILED]\n"
          echo
          exit 3
        fi
        echo -n "Starting BOINC client as a daemon: "
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE  --exec $BOINCEXE $BOINCOPTS >>$LOGFILE 2>>$ERRORLOG -- -u $BOINCUSER
        echo
        ;;
   stop)
        echo -n "Stopping boinc client daemon"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $BOINCEXE
        echo
        ;;
  restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        ;;
  status)
        PID=`pidof $BOINCEXE`
        if [ "$PID" != "" ]; then
          echo "BOINC client is running (pid $PID)."
        else
          echo "BOINC client is stopped."
        fi
        ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: boinc {start|stop|restart|status}"
        exit 1
esac
exit
##