[nmglug] Wireless PCMCIA Support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0

Jason Davis mohadib at openactive.org
Thu Sep 2 11:35:32 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 12:00, Dave Nystrom wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0.  I
> would like to set it up so that I can have wireless internet access at home.
> At home, I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.  I have two wireless PCMCIA
> cards.  One is a Netgear Wireless PC Card 32-bit Cardbus WG511.  The other is
> a Proxim Orinoco Silver 11 a/b/g Combo Card.  Does anyone know if it is
> possible to get either of these cards working on my laptop running Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 3.0?  If it is possible, can anyone point me to any How To
> information?
>
> Thanks,

Linux works well with orinoco cards. very easy to set up to.
Just throw the card in .... and reboot , or modprobe if the kernel
does not do it for you. Then just try dhclient eth1 or whatever.
If this does not get you on then fool with iwconfig or maybe the
wireless capplet for gnome... or something similar for kde. Should be
easy.

good luck,
jd