[nmglug] dude, wheres my password?

joe at highmayhem.com joe at highmayhem.com
Wed Apr 13 13:42:01 PDT 2005

Thanks guys,
I'm trying jason's idea.
This is what happened when i did fdisk. It tells me "here disk is
something like" bla blabla or bla bla bla. When did computer start
speaking in such vauge terms?

root at ubuntu:~ # fdisk 1

Unable to open 1
root at ubuntu:~ # fdisk -1
fdisk: invalid option -- 1

Usage: fdisk [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK     Change partition table
       fdisk -l [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK  List partition table(s)
       fdisk -s PARTITION           Give partition size(s) in blocks
       fdisk -v                     Give fdisk version
Here DISK is something like /dev/hdb or /dev/sda
and PARTITION is something like /dev/hda7
-u: give Start and End in sector (instead of cylinder) units
-b 2048: (for certain MO disks) use 2048-byte sectors
root at ubuntu:~ #

Does this show what partition my OS is on?

Joe