[nmglug] Finding my other Linux machines

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 01:05:22 PDT 2005

I've been setting up a handful of linux workstations on the home lan.  I'm
unfamiliar with how to have these linux machines see each other besides
static IP and creating /etc/hosts on each machine.

My current solution has been to install samba on each machine and have them
register with a samba/wins server.

I'm sure that I need some sort of Dynamic DNS solution on my lan but don't
know where to look.

Current lan is a smoothwall 2.0 firewall/NAT/DHCP/WEB & DNS Proxy
(http://www.smoothwall.org), couple of WinXP machines and 1/2 dozen Linux
machines (one being a Samba File Server).

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim Emerick