[nmglug] Finding my other Linux machines

Sam Noble sam.noble at comcast.net
Tue Apr 26 09:01:55 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 01:05 -0700, Tim Emerick wrote:
> I've been setting up a handful of linux workstations on the home lan.  I'm
> unfamiliar with how to have these linux machines see each other besides
> static IP and creating /etc/hosts on each machine.
>
> My current solution has been to install samba on each machine and have them
> register with a samba/wins server.
>
> I'm sure that I need some sort of Dynamic DNS solution on my lan but don't
> know where to look.
>
> Current lan is a smoothwall 2.0 firewall/NAT/DHCP/WEB & DNS Proxy
> (http://www.smoothwall.org), couple of WinXP machines and 1/2 dozen Linux
> machines (one being a Samba File Server).

Tim,

I (used to) do this with dnsmasq, I'm grumpy with it now 'cause instead
of integrating smoothly with ISC dhcp, it has it's own dhcp server built
in now. They did this so projects like smoothwall wouldn't need the
largish ISC dhcp server and it looks like smoothwall is all set up for
it to work. Have you tried putting the smoothwall machine as the primary
DNS server? It might just start working. But it may be helpful
(necessary?) to put the hostname in the dhcp client config on the
machines on the lan. I have stuff like:

send host-name "marshall";

in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

And when it was all working the machines on my lan could resolve
'marshall' because their DNS server was the linux box running dnsmasq.