[nmglug] DSL and Mepis problems on laptop

Valentin Guillen usenet1 at myrealbox.com
Mon Aug 29 17:21:58 PDT 2005

Lee wrote:

> You are correct. I performed the test which you describe and the sites
> will come up immediately if I use the IP address rather than the URL.
> But why do I only experience this problem with the 2.6.7 kernel, and
> what, if anything, can I do to correct it?

I'm not sharp enough to know if it is actually kernel related, but I
believe that it's not.  In my SuSE versions, the issue was that the
default installation was configured to use IPv6 instead of IPv4.  The
Qwest ActionTec 701 DSL modem seems to gag on IPv6.  The kernel versions
probably are configured differently.

My solution was to reconfigure my system to not use IPv6.  Quite
honestly, I don't recall which two config files I changed.  I have
previously posted the solution here on this listserv.  The listserve
archives should have those posts archived.  I got the information
originally from both the SuSE knowlegebase, and from the SuSE usenet
newsgroup.

groups.google.com gives me these hits when I query  'SuSE IPv6 DNS'
These hits at that site give me these among others:

http://groups.google.com/group/novell.support.suse.linux.professional/browse_thread/thread/5a14417d734eac40/7389e5e7bd747eab?lnk=st&q=SuSE+IPv6+DNS&rnum=3#7389e5e7bd747eab
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.suse/browse_thread/thread/65e6af2483e35fe9/2c687cf668a02ea7?lnk=st&q=SuSE+IPv6+DNS&rnum=4#2c687cf668a02ea7
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.suse/browse_thread/thread/43d3e56f40db64d9/bcf1ae96bf07e525?lnk=st&q=SuSE+IPv6+DNS&rnum=10#bcf1ae96bf07e525

Now, because you're not using SuSE, the name or location of the config
files may vary, but the actual causes and solution should be the same in
nature, in each distribution.

Hopefully this will point the way to the resolution of this issue, which
is very easily remedied.

Good Luck!

vg