[nmglug] RAID0 vs RAID1

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 12:55:12 PST 2005

I'm building a replacement samba server.  The motherboard has a builtin
Promise RAID controller which I intend to use with 2 80gig ATA100 EIDE HD's.
My choices from the controller are RAID0 (mirroring?) or RAID1 (striping?).

Applications are fairly basic with an equal amount of both reads and writes.
I understand that if my application was mostly read-only then mirroring would
be better but since I'll be doing both I'm leaning towards striping for
performance reasons.

Since the RAID controller is hardware I'm assuming that I don't have to do
anything special with Linux.  Linux will see the raid array as a single
drive.

Any comments?

Thanks in advance.

Tim Emerick