[nmglug] More RAID Questions

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 13:26:16 PST 2005

After considering all of the kind replies I received in response to my last
RAID post I have a couple more questions that didn't seem to be clearly
addressed in any of the links that were sent.  Looks like I'll be nixing the
simple RAID0 or RAID1 controller that is on my motherboard in favor of a
RAID5 scenario.

1. Someone noted that software raid was just as fast as hardware raid.  This
machine will be a mostly dedicated Samba Server on a P4 1.8ghz machine.  Does
this still hold true or should I get a dedicated Promise Controller that
supports RAID5?

2. I thought I read somewhere that you should only use Drive0 on each
controller when using with RAID or you will get horrible performance.  Does
that hold water?  My onboard Promise RAID controller can be configured for
RAID or normal ATA100 IDE controllers.  As normal IDE controllers that would
give me 4 controllers with 2 drives each.  With the above limitation it
sounds like I would only be able to use the Drive0 on each controller for my
raid array.  Could I use Drive1 for occasionally used devices (IDE-DVD/CDrom,
Large Backup HD) without a performance hit?

3. What is the math for RAID5?  I really only need around 60 gigs of storage.

4. I'm looking at getting 3 40 gig ATA100 HD's for the raid array to add to
the existing small HD for the linux OS, a 200 GIG HD for a rolling couple
days backup, and the IDE-CDrom drive.  How would you suggest hooking all that
up considering question #2?

5. Any tuning tips for Samba with WinXP workstations?

Thanks in advance

Tim Emerick