[nmglug] More RAID Questions

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Wed Feb 23 13:41:27 PST 2005

1. Paragraphing Sam's tech speech, Software raid uses a little bit of
your powerful P4 1.8 mhz, hardware raid (unless a 'pro' level one) uses
a crappy chipset that runs slower than the little bit of your P4.
It sounds logic to me, even more if not using X. It also might be better
to expend $100 in a beefy CPU rather than in a puppy raid controller.
But take this advice at your own risk.

2. dunno

3. Math for raid 5 is: use identical drives, at least 3, subtract 1
drive from the total storage capacity.
ie. 3 * 100MB = 300MB |  -  100MB=  200MB or  ie. 4 * 100MB = 400MB |
-  100MB=  300MB

4. looks like you'll need an extra controller for the fifth disk, (or
move sys and backup to the 200G one)
    I wouldn't buy 40G if for extra $10 you can get $60, you might
regret later.

5.?