[nmglug] Debian server questions

Jason Davis mohadib at openactive.org
Tue Jan 11 16:50:28 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 17:17, Tim Emerick wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a headless samba / sshd debian server and have a couple
> of questions.
>
> 1. Can I manage the debian packages on this server using a remote synaptic?

you could always xforward synaptic but then you would have to install
gtk and all that extra stuff. Why not just use apt , its very nice
once you get the hang of it.

> 2. I don't like exim.  I really don't need any mail services on this machine
> other than allowing different system accounts to be able to email me their
> auto generated stuff like status/logs/error messages, etc.  These would/could
> go through the SMTP server already on my lan.  Any suggestions?

nothing to offer you here :p

Thanks,
Jason Davis
mohadib at openactive.org
~
Pedro: Do you think people will vote for me?
Napoleon Dynamite: Heck yes! I'd vote for you.
Pedro: Like what are my skills?
Napoleon Dynamite: Well, you have a sweet bike. And you're really good at hooking up with chicks. Plus you're like the only guy at school who has a mustache.