[nmglug] Installing apt on RH8

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 13:31:45 PST 2005

Thanks for the suggestion to switch to debian.  I loaded debian sarge on an
old P1-MMX-200 128MB ram.  Loaded samba on it and did a couple of test
transfers.

The RH8 machine with a P4-1.8G processor transferred files at about 10mb/s
while the Debian P1-200 did it at about 54mb/s.

That's it.  I don't know what the difference was other than Debian vs RH.
Now I'm just going to bite down and convert to Debian Sarge even though it's
going to be a royal pain to set up again.

Tim