[nmglug] Linux Distributions

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Wed Jan 19 14:50:41 PST 2005

wdn at lanl.gov wrote:
> I have been a Red Hat user for several years but lately have been
> interested in considering the use of another Linux distribution.  Right
> now, I am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0.  Here is what I am looking
> for:
>
> 1.  A distribution that provides a really large number of prebuilt
>     packages so that there is a good probability of my finding anything
>     I might want already prebuilt in the distribution.

Debian comes with more than 8710 packages.

> 2.  A decent installation procedure.

Make sure to get the latest Debian installer. Don't use the "stable" version.

Assuming you are not going to be doing this over a dialup connection, I would recommend the net install CD from

> 3.  Good package management and installation.

Apt (Debian)

> 4.  Staying close to the cutting edge on the software packages.

You probably want to go with Debian unstable.

<snip>

> BTW, I will be running the Linux distro that I choose on a laptop.

I installed Debian on a laptop and had a hell of a time doing it. But the laptop was old and did not have a CD drive.

I also bought a new laptop with Debian installed from Los Alamos Computers. That was the easiest install ever.

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1300 Luisa St Ste 23
Santa Fe NM 87505
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com