[nmglug] Re: nmglug Digest, Vol 22, Issue 12

WA7BSZ wa7bsz at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 17:02:30 PDT 2005

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:24:21 -0600
> From: "a_kaluta" <akaluta at zianet.com>
> Subject: [nmglug] CD-Rom wheredit go
>
> Dear Club Members;
> I went to load a cd-disk from Sam.
> It seems /cdrom , /dev/hdc  are no such file or directory.
> Kernal.log, says hdc: stat error:status=0x00 {}
> ide failed optcd was : unknown.
> README not very encouraging i.e try kernal 2.4.
> I do not find the necessary clues in P. Sheers book.
> nor in "How Linux Works".
> For the initiated, I suspect the solution is obvious.
> Any specifically applacable, tantalizing clues out there, anyone answering
> trivial questions today?  Anthony Kaluta

That error "hdc stat error:status=0x00 {}
                   ide failed optcd was : unknown."

Looks like some kind of problem in the initialization of the during boot. Could
be hardware, could be a plug coming loose, loose connection somewhere.
Otherwise could be the drive itself has a hardware problem.

Otherwise might be a corrupted software driver or setting. It could be a lot of
things, and there is not enough information from that error message for me to
tell anyway. I think I got an error message like that and just put in another
and was in business again. But it could be a BIOS setting, who knows. Did you
get it going?

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:16:55 -0600
> From: Andres Paglayan <andres at paglayan.com>
> Subject: [nmglug] flash rom writer,
>
> Howdy,
> I have a pcchips mobo that has an screwed bios, there is no embedded
> tool to flash and won't boot,
> do you know of any place where they have a rom writer and I can flash
> the rom?
> Thx,

Sometimes they have the ROM writers at production companies, but it would be
rare for someone to have the correct one for your chip. Maybe you could make an
 adapter if necessary.

A friend of mine had a with a BIOS that had been hit by and when I tried to get
another copy to try to flash it, it said that it was a situation where had only
bought one copy and then copied it to all the others it sold. M520 I believe.
Well, I never did fix that one. Just went on to another. Anyway, that was an
awful thing to find out. Maybe they have made something available now as the
search results seem to indicate.

I guess not too many people keep a ROM writer around. They would certainly be
handy for fixing a BIOS that is corrupted enough that you can't boot from
floppy.

So, did you get anywhere on this?