[nmglug] CD-Rom wheredit go

a_kaluta akaluta at zianet.com
Sun Jul 24 17:24:40 PDT 2005

From; Anthony Kaluta
To ;Karl Hegbloom" et.al. <karlheg at laclinux.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nmglug] CD-Rom wheredit go

Karl;
Of course it may take a bit more  to understand. but I will look into udev
and hotplug;and for what it was worth I have read the man pages of each.
I ran and not knowing if it would help
/etc/init.d/hotplug status
pertinent results
isof      0
ide-cd  0
cdrom   1 ide-cd

also
/etc/init.d/hotplug  force-reload
also
/etc/init.d/udev force-reload
and
/etc/init.d/udev-mtab

to answer your question....is 'iso9660' loaded
modprobe -r ide-cd
shows unload in dmesg
and  /etc/fstab shows 'isofs'  removed .
modprobe ide-cd
shows no message in dmesg
and in /etc/fstab shows 'isofs'

looking in /etc/fstab/
the following is in place
/dev/cdrom        /cdrom   /iso9660     ....
however using
locate /cdrom or
locate  /dev/cdrom
indicates they do not exist.
so their is a disparity (not knowing is a reload option is required for
'/etc/fstab'
locate 'ide-cd'  brings the  result:
/sys/bus/ide/driver/ide-cdrom
So I have learned a tiny bit and if I may be so presumptious,perhaps step
two,in the journey of one thousand miles (3000steps per miles x 1000 =
3,000,000).having not solved the problem may get back to some details of
Mailman and perhaps take a peek at Postfix.
Thank you for your may kind responses. Anthony Kaluta