[nmglug] Knoppix on a stick

Sam Noble sam at laclinux.com
Thu Jul 28 09:36:10 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 23:43 -0600, Mars DeLapp wrote:
> Larry W. Wood wrote:
> > On Jul 26, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Mars DeLapp wrote:
> >
> >> But I have not been able to get it to boot yet.
> >

> > Take a look at this:
> >
> >         Boot KNOPPIX from an USB Memory Stick
> >         http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/
> >
> I have been following the instructions at
> http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/ch04s04.html.en
> which is how to put the Debian installer on a usb stick. It seems to be the same concept, boot a live cd iso off a usb
> stick. But it looks like this is different.
>
> I have not been successful yet. I suspect the problem is that USB modules are not loaded, the URL you gave says, "You
> need to modify linuxrc in miniroot.gz and put the relevant usb modules in modules/usb/." I will have to try that.
>
> Mar

I don't know if it still qualifies as a 'project' if you do it this way
since the work is all done.
But DSL (www.damnsmalllinux.org) has this all set up. If you have a fat
partition on the pendrive, you just get the dsl-1.3.1-embedded.zip file,
unzip it onto the fat partition, and then install the syslinux boot
sector.

$ wget ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/damnsmall/current/dsl-1.3.1-embedded.zip
$ pmount /dev/uba1
$ cd /media/uba1
$ unzip ~/dsl-1.3.1-embedded.zip
$ cd
# syslinux -s /dev/uba1

They've also got one that boots up DSL in qemu on a windows box, though I've not tried it.