[nmglug] Using Media Bay Devices In Dell 600m With Fedora Core 3

William D. Nystrom wdn at lanl.gov
Fri Jun 10 09:15:48 PDT 2005

Hi Karl,

On Thu, June 9, 2005 5:40 pm, Karl Hegbloom said:
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 15:27 -0600, William D. Nystrom wrote:
>> Will pmount allow me to how swap devices in the media bay such as the
>> media bay battery, a CDRW/DVD combo drive, or a media bay hard drive?
>
> Probably not.  It's for mounting hotpluggable media drives, CD/DVD
> media, and floppies.
>
> What is the 'media bay'?  I would assume that's like a removable drive
> slot in a laptop, and it requires that you reboot the machine in order
> to swap the drive in it, at least in Linux.  (there may be a way to do
> it using hibernate and the fake ide hotplug driver; I've not learned to
> do this yet)

The media bay is just the slot on a dell inspiron 600m and other dell
laptops where you can install/swap several devices including cd/dvd drives,
a second hdd, a second battery, or a floppy drive.

It would be nice if there was an easy way to hot swap these sort of devices
with linux.

--
Dave Nystrom
LANL X-2