[nmglug] Wireless on Dell 600m With Fedora Core 3

William D. Nystrom wdn at lanl.gov
Tue Jun 14 08:34:43 PDT 2005

Yesterday, I was able to install ndiswrapper and the Windows driver on my
Dell 600m running Fedora Core 3.  I'm able to connect to the internet by
typing the following sequence of commands as root:

modprobe ndiswrapper
iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
iwconfig wlan0 key restricted "My 26 digit WEP key"
iwconfig wlan0 essid "My network name"
dhclient wlan0

Running "ifconfig wlan0 up" does not seem to allow me to establish a
connection although it does appear to bring up to a running state wlan0.

These are the instructions which I have been following:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Installation

I'd like to automate this now but the section on automation in the
instructions seems a little sketchy and I could not get it to work.  I
executed the command "ndiswrapper -m".  I guess I don't really know how
to configure my module setup and I could not find a named "/etc/modules".

Seems like I'm nearly there.  Could anyone suggest what the last step is
to get my laptop to boot up with wireless working?

Thanks,

--
Dave Nystrom
LANL X-2