[nmglug] wireless pcmcia card

pi pi at pihost.us
Tue Jun 21 12:57:51 PDT 2005

a_kaluta wrote:
> Dear club members;
> I am ordering a senao wireless pcmcia card.
> their are several models.Does anyone offer any thoughts re: the
> preferred model? thanks Anthony

It really depends on what you want to do with them.

Orinoco CLASSIC cards make great cards for client use, since they have a
dedicated processor for WEP. They are also very sensitive for recieve,
and make good cards for sniffing on single channels.

Senao cards are good for connecting to very far access points, since
they have a very high (200mw) transmit power.

Cisco wireless cards are good for sniffing, since they seem to be able
to listen on all channels simultaneously!

I haven't had much experience with a/b/g cards, but I know that the
Atheros-based triband cards REALLY SUCK. If you're looking for an A or
G-mode card, find one based on the Prism54 chipset.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me :)