[nmglug] wireless pcmcia card

Karl Hegbloom karlheg at laclinux.com
Tue Jun 21 13:44:48 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 13:57 -0600, pi wrote:
> I haven't had much experience with a/b/g cards, but I know that the
> Atheros-based triband cards REALLY SUCK. If you're looking for an A or
> G-mode card, find one based on the Prism54 chipset.

My laptop has an Atheros based mini-PCI wireless card in it that works
very well.  I've never had any trouble with it at all.  At the same
time, I've never had any other wireless card for this laptop, and so
cannot make a direct comparison.

What is it about the Atheros PCMCIA cards that make them "suck"?  Why
don't you like them?  I'd like to know more about various cards and how
they compare, but cannot personally afford either the cards or the time
for the testing.  (I'm in college.)

--
Karl Hegbloom <karlheg at laclinux.com>
Los Alamos Computers, Technical Support