[nmglug] Spam filtering

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Fri Mar 11 13:31:49 PST 2005

Tim Emerick wrote:
> would appreciate any tips/hints/thoughts on what to setup.  Let me know if
> you have a link to a FAQ or HOWTO to setup a complete mail server solution.
>
> - Mail Server - Exim comes with Debian and seems to do the trick.
> - Webmail - Squirrelmail looks like the way to go.
> - Antivirus - ClamAV?
> - Spam Filter - I've heard that SpamAssasin is the best out there.  Any good
> startup filters?
> - Mail Filter - Something to automagically sort incoming email on
> subject/from/body text.

I would suggest Postfix instead of Exim. Only because I tried to get Exim configured to work and had trouble. I
installed Postfix (via apt-get) and it just worked.

At Pi's recommendation, I have been working on a setting up Jamm for the NMSEA server. It is using (or going to be using):
Postfix
openLDAP
Jamm
DoveCot
squirrelmail
SpamAssain

For an overall diagram on how this works:
http://jamm.sourceforge.net/howto/single-html/mailserver.html#FIG-OVERALL

http://jamm.sourceforge.net/

We started working on setting up the mail server at a meeting about a month ago. I just have not had time to finish
getting it set up.

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1300 Luisa St Ste 23
Santa Fe NM 87505
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com