[nmglug] Spam filtering

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 08:21:57 PST 2005

I've been a long time subscriber to Yahoo mail.  My favorite thing to see is
the 30 or so emails in my inbox and the 1000's of spam items that yahoo
filtered for me.

I've got my email server running on my home PC but never really used it
because I like yahoo so much.  Now, I'm thinking of making the switch.  I
would appreciate any tips/hints/thoughts on what to setup.  Let me know if
you have a link to a FAQ or HOWTO to setup a complete mail server solution.

- Mail Server - Exim comes with Debian and seems to do the trick.
- Webmail - Squirrelmail looks like the way to go.
- Antivirus - ClamAV?
- Spam Filter - I've heard that SpamAssasin is the best out there.  Any good
startup filters?
- Mail Filter - Something to automagically sort incoming email on
subject/from/body text.

Thanks!