[nmglug] "Mailman"

Aaron Birenboim eunichs at boim.com
Tue May 3 06:43:06 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 14:58, a_kaluta wrote:
> Dear Glug;
> Concerning "Mailman"; to complete creating the sitelist I must edit
> "/etc/mail/aliases (or equivalant)...".
> Not quite that easy. so using "find / -name 'aliases'" and
> "locate aliases". and further searches among the dark canyons of
> "Google".The best choice seems to be "/etc/aliases" ,now that list is the
> result of running "eximconf.'' upon opening theprogram,the occuring warning
> discouraged me from proceeding.
> The preamble to "/etc/aliases" states that the site admin. may modify the
> list.
> So does anyone have any suggestion that I might correctly proceed entering
> in "/etc/mailman", items i.e.
> mailman;   "| /etc/mailman/mail/mail/mailman post mailman".
> mailman-admin; "| /etc/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman" ....
> (my "Mailman location /etc/mailman rather than /usr/local/mailman.)
> Do any of the membership have experience with "Mailman" and the correct
> location to populate the
>  "## mailman mailing list" thank you,Anthony Kaluta

When you make a new mailman list, it should spit out
several lines of aliases (at least 5-6 of them) to the
console.

Copy and paste this into the end of /etc/aliases.
Then run "newaliases" as root.

newaliases is supported by sendmail and postfix.
I'm not sure about exim, but I wouldn't be suprized
that exim provides this script just like sendmail
and postfix.  Otherwise...   man exim...