[nmglug] Re: [NMLUG] NMLUG and NMGLUG and NMOSUG

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Sat May 7 16:43:21 PDT 2005

Hans Fugal wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance (and the crosspost), but neither website nor  google
> answers the question that anyone looking for a LUG in New  Mexico must
> ask. What is the relationship between NMLUG and NMGLUG,  and why do both
> exist?
Here is some of the history.

NMGLUG is a fork of NMLUG. Or maybe it's just the Northern New Mexico Chapter of
the NMLUG?

NMLUG is the New Mexico [BSD] and Linux Users Group.
It was existing primarily as a maillist with a web site with pretty much static
content. There were occasional meetings in Albuquerque but not often.

In January of 2003, on the NMLUG mailing list,
http://nmlug.org/pipermail/nmlug/2003-January/subject.html
Jason Schaefer suggested having some meetings in Santa Fe. And a small group of
NMLUG members started meeting every two weeks at the Santa Fe Baking Company in
Santa Fe.

The Santa Fe group decided we should have our own web site. And after Richard
Stallman attended one of the meetings in Santa Fe in September 2003, we decided
that we wanted to emphasize the Gnu part of Gnu/Linux and chose the New Mexico
Gnu/Linux Users Group name and NMGLUG.org.

Originally, ALL of the nmglug email list members were also members of the nmlug
email list. But that has changed.

So here is a summary as I see it:
http://www.nmlug.org - An email list with people all over the state. No
meetings. The place where everybody meets. A good place to ask for support. The
only one I know of that includes BSD user(s?).

http://www.nmglug.org - An email list with people primarily in the Santa Fe
area. Regular meetings in Santa Fe, hands-on support at most meetings,
occasional presentations. Primarily focused on Debian and recently Ubuntu
distributions.

http://www.nmosug.org/ -New Mexico Open Source User Group - A group in
Albuquerque, formerly associated with TVI. Has recently be having regular meetings.

There appears to be lots of folks who are members of all three groups, and a lot
of cross posting.

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering.
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1300 Luisa St Ste 23
Santa Fe NM 87505
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com