[nmglug] installing openoffice 1.1.4 in straight debian?

Anthony Martinez pi at pihost.us
Sat May 21 11:01:18 PDT 2005

On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 08:39:31AM -0600, Mark Galassi
carved this out of pure phosphors:

> Amigos, I looked around on how to get ooo 1.1.4 in straight debian.  I
> found the page:
>
> http://openoffice.debian.net/install.html
>
> and its neighbors, but I cannot get the procedure to work for me.
>
> The pages mention that (a) 1.1.4 is available in experimental instead
> of unstable, and (b) that there is a set of mirrors that one can use
> to install openoffice.
>
> Putting "experimental" instead of "unstable" in my normal sources.list
> did not give it to me (in fact it upgraded none of my many packages --
> not just ooo).

Don't do that :| Experimental is pinned so that it will NEVER be upgraded to.
You usually don't want to, either, because it could have some really crippling
bugs. Just add a source that has experimental, and then apt-get -t experimental
install openoffice - the -t option asks apt to pick packages from experimental
for just that session.