[nmglug] ipw2200 driver

Anthony Martinez pi at pihost.us
Sun Nov 13 11:57:15 PST 2005

a_kaluta wrote:
> Dear Club Members;
> This coming meeting I request assistance installing a ipw2200 driver for
> wireless internet usage and assistance installing an slmodem ,for both,
> of which I have tar files located on an restoration disk.
>                       Thank You. Anthony Kaluta

I installed the slmodem like so: Recompile the kernel and set the Intel 8x0
Modem driver in ALSA as a module, and set up the slmodemd with ALSA support.
copy slmodemd to /usr/sbin and the init.d script to /etc/init.d/slmodemd. Edit
/etc/default/slmodemd to set SLMODEMD_DEVICE=hw:1 and edit /etc/init.d/slmodemd
to replace all instances of slamr (the non-free driver that taints your kernel)
to snd_intel8x0m . Run "update-rc.d slmodemd defaults" to get it to start up.
The modem will be exposed as /etc/ttySL0.