[nmglug] AP500 Compaq

Karl Hegbloom karlheg at laclinux.com
Fri Oct 7 09:12:47 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 17:12 -0600, a_kaluta wrote:
> 1.)How do I get a boot prompt on the Ap500.,i686,scsi disks.
> F10 brings to a screen with"setup",trying Esc,Space,or Enter does not reveal
> a hidden menu nor accept visible keyed input.

I haven't any idea.  Is that a BIOS setup?  You should be able to find
that in the menu.  If it's a Grub menu you want, use the Esc key.

> seven disks.
> entering apt-cdrom ?{I forget what} brings the programs into apt index.
> How do I get the install program to recognize the program index from the
> disks at setup?

If you installed from CD, it should already have that listed
in /etc/apt/sources.list.  Add new CD's with 'apt-cdrom', RTFM "man
apt-cdrom" for instructions.  Why not use network-available apt
repositories via http?

> 2.)Does not seem to read the one dvd disk with "sarge" on it.
> I have a misc. collection of boot disks trying to coax the dvdat best I get
> a grub, or lilo prompt but does not accept keyed input, any ideas.

I wonder if you have a USB keyboard?  If so, make sure to enable that in
the BIOS, since the boot loader uses BIOS services to read the keys; it
has no USB drivers in itself.  Once Linux is running, the BIOS is no
longer used, and the kernel's own USB keyboard driver reads it.

> I have the system restore disk pi recommed to scientist Nystrom for
> partimage would an items on that disk help.perhaps knoppix-std any help
> there or  suggestions otherwise, thanks              Anthony

I like to use www.sysresccd.org.  I think you need a recent one to get
USB keyboard support; IIRC, at least one version did not have that.

--
Karl Hegbloom <karlheg at laclinux.com>
Los Alamos Computers, Technical Support