[nmglug] Restoring MBR

William D. Nystrom wdn at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 27 10:23:52 PDT 2005

I recently went through the following scenario.

1.  Formatted partitions on a new hard drive and installed Fedora Core 3.

2.  Installed Windows XP on one of the partitions which clobbered my MBR.

3.  Reinstalled Fedora Core 3 because I could not figure out another way
    to restore my MBR.  I tried the Rescue disk but perhaps I did not know
    what I was doing.

Is there an easy way to restore the MBR if it has been clobbered by a
Windows install?  I'm using grub as my boot loader.

Thanks,

--
Dave Nystrom
LANL X-2