[nmglug] Restoring MBR

Ravi Kumar kumar.rvi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:52:17 PDT 2005

Hi William,
   This is what you do to restore your MBR  when it  has been
overwritten . I am assuming that you already  have fedora installed
on your machine to dual boot with windows OS.

1) Take the fedora CD No1 and boot using this CD. You might have to
set your computer to boot from CDROM. Change the relevant settings in
the Bios setup.
2) Once you come to the installation 'boot : '  prompt, type 'linux rescue'
3) Your computer will boot from the CD and Fedora will automatically
detect whether linux is installed on your machine and mount the root
directory of your linux installation from your harddisk into the
/mnt/sysimage (I think that is the location - I forget - anyway the
installer will tell you where it is mounting  your root partition). I
am assuming it is /mnt/sysimage.
4) Now chroot to this location.
      # chroot /mnt/sysimage
5) Lastly restore your grub boot loader to the MBR.

      # grub-install /dev/hda

6) type 'exit' in the command prompt which will reboot your machine.
Once your machine is rebooted, you remove the CD from the CD Drive.
That is it. You have restored your boot loader.

Regards
Ravi
http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com