[nmglug] multi

Sam Noble sam at laclinux.com
Sun Apr 30 12:29:06 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 13:25 -0600, Brian O'Keefe wrote:
> First, the upgraded Evolution 2.6 in Ubuntu Dapper
> crashes when I click on a previously existing mail folder. When I
> change
> the name of the folder in ~/.evolution, I can run Evo. If I click on
> the
> renamed folder, crash. Obviously I have an offending message in that
> folder that didn't bother Evo 2.4. Any ideas on how to easliy find the
> offending message?

The only suggestion I have is a bit long and not especially likely to
work.

I had a similar problem with my addressbook on update to evo2.6
Here's a link to a guy with the exact same problem I had:
http://threebit.net/mail-archive/fedora-list/msg09804.html

Although I got my update via apt not a clean install, and did not have a
convenient "previously saved "list.vcf" VCARD of the whole
contacts database"

So I looked at a few methods of building some kind of sandbox to install
the older version of evo in, but then realized I had a copy of the
Ubuntu 5.04 live disk laying around.

     1. So I booted the live CD
     2. mounted my home directory (to get access to my addressbook.db
        file and to have a place to store the list.vcf file I wanted to
        create.) [# mount -t ext3 /dev/hda7 /mnt/]
     3. ran evolution's first-time user stuff to create an empty
        addressbook.db
     4. killed all the evolution and e-d-s processes. [$ evolution
        --force-shutdown]
     5. copied my addressbook [$
        cp /mnt/sam/.evolution/addressbook/local/system/addressbook.db.scn .evolution/ddressbook/local/system/addressbook.db]
     6. saved it as a Vcard. (By selecting all contacts, then File->Save
        as Vcard because the current option "Save Addressbook" as Vcard
        did not exist in the older version.)
     7. Rebooted back to my system, where I'd already renamed
        addressbook.db file. (Otherwise I'd need to do the
        --force-shutdown again and remove it to avoid dups)
     8. imported the list.vcf file using evolution's import single file
        feature

I think you could do the same thing with your misbehaving mail
directory, if you suspect that it would work in an older version of
evolution. You can probabaly even use these same commands replacing the
addressbook.db with the challenging folder, and save as an mbox file
rather than vcard.

Of course, this may just be an elaborate method of carefully preserving
whatever the problem in the folder is, in which case you should at least
be no worse off.