[nmglug] usb drive

Jeff Shippen spiffycomputers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 21:01:15 PDT 2006

>> # Info:
>> # drive capacity: 160 G
>> # EXTFS Linux partition capacity: 40 G
>> # problem: 6 gigs data used != 7 Gig free
>>
>> Brian, you may have said already, but i'm curious which distro are
>> you using?  I have suse 10.1, and i also have a "/media" directory,
>> which is NOT the full hard drive.
>>
>> You say you have only 6 gigs of disk space in use, but according to
>> `du -h...` the _/media/For_Linux_ directory is consuming 11 gigs
>>
>> try this command as root (or use sudo)
>> $ du -h / > du.txt
>>
>> That will create a text file containing the information from du
>> command.  should not see much happen, but once you get your command
>> line back it is done.  you can then use the following command to view
>> the du output:
>> $ less du.txt
>> navigating with the less command: <enter> scroll down one line,
>> <space> down one page, <b> back one page, <G> go to the bottom of the
>> file, <q> quit
>>
>> Jeff
>>
> A quick answer-Ubuntu. I am authoring DVD's so between the time I
> wrote 6GB I had added the other 5GB in video files. What is the
> purpose of the command that I don't get from $ du -h?
> And Sam, I ran kdirstat which gives the same data as I posted plus a
> very bloby but colorful graphic. Result is the same, 11 GB used  and
> now, after more dvdauthoring the drive is full!  Here's  the
> screenshot.  It  seems that  each  new  dvd  authoring  is adding
> something  that makes  the  partition  smaller?

"du -h /" should show you the disk usage of directories and files across
your whole linux drive, not just the "media/For_Linux" directory,
assuming you will be logged on to linux when you type the command.  When
you use "du -h", I don't know what location it is looking at, du -h /
tells it to look at the root directory, which is the upper most
directory where everything is stored.

The list will probably be pretty lengthy, and you will probably lose
results as the long list scrolls in the terminal window, that is why i
suggested to type "> du.txt" which will create a text file with the
output rather than scrolling it across your screen.  After that is said
and done, you can open "du.txt" in any text editor or from the command
line using "more" or "less" or "vi" or... and easily delete the lines of
info that are insignificant, to help sort through what is using up your
disk space.

Jeff