[nmglug] iptables / routing question,

Ed Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Wed Dec 13 12:19:51 PST 2006

Andres Paglayan wrote:
> I'll re do that with /24,
> but there is already a DMZHOLES definition that is working, (from there
> to here)
> I get the pings from 50 to 1 with no problems,

Is that what you expect/want to be able to do?  If it is, I'm
confused.  I thought the .50 is your DMZ, on eth2, which you wanted to
restrict to only what is allowed in DMZHOLES...

> I also cheched that at the 50 network there's no other routing rules
> rather than
> forwarding 1.1 to my 1.1 subnet. (in case packets were getting lost)
>

> On Dec 13, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Ed Brown wrote:
>
>> Also Andres, for the DMZHOLES rules, you probably do want to redefine
>> the source and destination with the /24 mask.
>>
>> -Ed
>>

>> Andres Paglayan wrote:
>>> thx for the comment
>>> basically I want packets destined to 192.168.50.0/24 incoming on eth0
>>> (192.168.1.1)
>>> to be forwarded to eth2 (192.168.50.1)
>>> currently the subnet at 192.168.50 can ping 192.168.1. ,
>>> but 1.1 cant go the other way
>>> routing table is
>>> Kernel IP routing table
>>> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
>>> Use Iface
>>> 10.12.223.2     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0
>>> 0 tun0
>>> 192.168.50.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
>>> 0 eth2
>>> 192.168.2.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
>>> 0 eth1
>>> 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
>>> 0 eth0
>>> 65.19.28.0      0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
>>> 0 eth3
>>> 10.12.223.0     10.12.223.2     255.255.255.0   UG    0      0
>>> 0 tun0
>>> 0.0.0.0         65.19.28.1      0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
>>> 0 eth3
>>> and iptables with eth* info it is
>>> root at ipcop:~ # iptables -vL
>>> Chain BADTCP (2 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>>     0     0 PSCAN      tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,PSH,ACK,URG/FIN,PSH,URG
>>>     0     0 PSCAN      tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,PSH,ACK,URG/NONE
>>>     0     0 PSCAN      tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,PSH,ACK,URG/FIN
>>>     0     0 PSCAN      tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            tcp flags:SYN,RST/SYN,RST
>>>     0     0 PSCAN      tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN/FIN,SYN
>>>    63 32929 NEWNOTSYN  tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            tcp flags:!FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN state NEW
>>> Chain CUSTOMFORWARD (1 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>>     0     0 REJECT     tcp  --  eth0   eth3    anywhere
>>> anywhere            tcp dpt:http reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
>>>     0     0 REJECT     tcp  --  eth1   eth3    anywhere
>>> anywhere            tcp dpt:http reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
>>> Chain CUSTOMINPUT (1 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>>     0     0 REJECT     tcp  --  any    any    !localhost
>>> anywhere            tcp dpt:mdbs_daemon reject-with
>>> icmp-port-unreachable
>>> Chain CUSTOMOUTPUT (1 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>> Chain DHCPBLUEINPUT (1 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>>     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth1   any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            tcp spt:bootpc dpt:bootps
>>>     0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  eth1   any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            udp spt:bootpc dpt:bootps
>>> Chain DMZHOLES (1 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>>     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth2   eth0    192.168.50.0
>>> 192.168.1.0         tcp dpt:http
>>>     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth2   eth0    192.168.50.0
>>> 192.168.1.0         tcp dpt:microsoft-ds
>>>     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth2   eth0    192.168.50.0
>>> 192.168.1.0         tcp dpt:citriximaclient
>>>     0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  eth2   eth0    192.168.50.0
>>> 192.168.1.0         tcp dpt:4994
>>> Chain GUIINPUT (1 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>>    63  3841 ACCEPT     icmp --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            icmp echo-request
>>> Chain INPUT (policy DROP 56 packets, 10996 bytes)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>> 171K  113M ipac~o     all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>> 171K  113M BADTCP     all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>> 4885  228K            tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            tcp flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN limit: avg 10/sec burst 5
>>> 171K  113M CUSTOMINPUT  all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>> 171K  113M GUIINPUT   all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>> 151K  111M ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
>>> 3126  140K ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            state NEW
>>>     0     0 DROP       all  --  any    any     127.0.0.0/8
>>> anywhere            state NEW
>>>     0     0 DROP       all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> 127.0.0.0/8         state NEW
>>> 16432 1654K ACCEPT    !icmp --  eth0   any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            state NEW
>>>     0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  ipsec+ any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>>    56 10996 DHCPBLUEINPUT  all  --  any    any
>>> anywhere             anywhere
>>>    56 10996 IPSECRED   all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>>    56 10996 OVPNINPUT  all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>>    56 10996 IPSECBLUE  all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>>    50  9620 WIRELESSINPUT  all  --  any    any
>>> anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
>>>    56 10996 REDINPUT   all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>>    50  9620 XTACCESS   all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            state NEW
>>>    56 10996 LOG        all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            limit: avg 10/min burst 5 LOG level warning
>>> prefix `INPUT '
>>> Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>> 71512   42M ipac~fi    all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>> 71512   42M ipac~fo    all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>> 71512   42M BADTCP     all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>> 2013 98252 TCPMSS     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            tcp flags:SYN,RST/SYN TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
>>> 71512   42M CUSTOMFORWARD  all  --  any    any
>>> anywhere             anywhere
>>> 69990   42M ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
>>>     0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            state NEW
>>>     0     0 DROP       all  --  any    any     127.0.0.0/8
>>> anywhere            state NEW
>>>     0     0 DROP       all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> 127.0.0.0/8         state NEW
>>> 1516 90576 ACCEPT     all  --  eth0   any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            state NEW
>>>     0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  eth2   eth2    anywhere
>>> anywhere            state NEW
>>>     6   336 OVPNFORWARD  all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>>     0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  ipsec+ any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>>     6   336 WIRELESSFORWARD  all  --  any    any
>>> anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
>>>     6   336 REDFORWARD  all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>>     0     0 DMZHOLES   all  --  eth2   any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            state NEW
>>>     6   336 PORTFWACCESS  all  --  any    any
>>> anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
>>>     0     0 LOG        all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            limit: avg 10/min burst 5 LOG level warning
>>> prefix `OUTPUT '
>>> Chain IPSECBLUE (1 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>> Chain IPSECRED (1 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>> Chain LOG_DROP (2 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>>     0     0 LOG        all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            limit: avg 10/min burst 5 LOG level warning
>>>     0     0 DROP       all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>> Chain LOG_REJECT (0 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>>     0     0 LOG        all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            limit: avg 10/min burst 5 LOG level warning
>>>     0     0 REJECT     all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
>>> Chain NEWNOTSYN (1 references)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>>    45 17560 LOG        all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere            limit: avg 10/min burst 5 LOG level warning
>>> prefix `NEW not SYN? '
>>>    63 32929 DROP       all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 165K packets, 110M bytes)
>>> pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
>>> destination
>>> 165K  110M ipac~i     all  --  any    any     anywhere
>>> anywhere
>>> 165K  110M CUSTOMOUTPUT  all  --  any    any     anywhere