[nmglug] mplayer

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Fri Dec 15 12:31:25 PST 2006

BrianO'Keefe wrote:

>> Anthony Martinez wrote:

>>> .mov,

>>> MPlayer is configured to use OSS instead of Alsa. Try  changing
>>> /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf to say "ao=alsa," instead of "ao=oss,".
>>> Might work.

>>> ==========================================================================

>>> ==========================================================================
>>>
>>> ==========================================================================

>>> ==========================================================================

>> Thanks Anthony. I tend to do these things and sometimes muck up my
>> system. I'm including the current audio settings in the file and perhaps
>> you can elaborate as it seems that "ao=" several options.
>> Also, i have my mplaer.c file in my home directory and I wonder if that
>> has any bearing on the problem.
>> Thanks again.
>> Brian
>>
>> ##################
>> # audio settings #
>> ##################
>>
>> # Specify default audio driver (see -ao help for a list).
>> ao=alsa,oss,sdl,esd,arts
>>
>> # Use SDL audio driver with the esd subdriver by default.
>> #ao = sdl:esd
>>
>> # Specify the mixer device.
>> #mixer = /dev/mixer
>>
>> # Resample the sound to 44100Hz with the lavcresample audio filter.
>> #af=lavcresample=44100

> I also ran:
> @ubuntu:~$ mplayer -ao help
> MPlayer dev-SVN-r19849-4.0.3 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
> AltiVec found
> CPU: PowerPC
> Available audio output drivers:
>         oss     OSS/ioctl audio output
>         nas     NAS audio output
>         mpegpes DVB audio output
>         null    Null audio output
>         pcm     RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output
>
> I see no alsa driver listed though I have the alsa wrapper for oss
> installed.  ??

I found that if I run:
killall esd
I then have sound in mplayer. I had seen a post somewhere that made
mention of a script to do this automatically on log in. I have sound
issues anyway so this is at least a bearable solution.
I did change my alsa config to force all sound processes to stop after
suspending but that didn't seem to help:

# Configuration file for alsa-base

# List, separated by spaces, the names of modules that should be
# unloaded, if present, before the machine is suspended. Use the
# special name "all" if you would like all ALSA sound modules to be
# removed. The modules that are removed will be loaded again after
# resume.  Currently this only has an effect if you are using apmd.
# Examples:
#     Value         Action at suspend time
#     ""            Do nothing
#     "snd-cs46xx"  Stop sound processes and remove the snd-cs46xx module
#     "all"         Stop sound processes and remove all ALSA modules
force_unload_modules_before_suspend="all"