[nmglug] help with a friend installing ubuntu 5.10

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Tue Jan 3 20:36:44 PST 2006

Amigos, I'm helping a friend with an install on a new Toshiba laptop.
We were going to do Debian, but the latest unstable netinst did not
grok the CD drive.

I tried to install Ubuntu 5.10 and it worked like a charm (small
caveats -- it will need extra work for the builtin wireless and so
forth...)

I'm a bit sad about this because I generally prefer to stick to
vanilla debian since a long time ago I read that Ubuntu was diverging.

So we then tried to add the debian unstable line to
/etc/apt/source.list and then did a dist-upgrade, and now things are a
bit weird and X does not run.

This led me to wonder if my old knowledge that you could add those
lines to sources.list are no longer valid.  Ubuntu talks about
something called the "universe".  Should we just go with that and not
try to use Debian apt archives?