[nmglug] Hardware RAID5 vs Software RAID5

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Thu Nov 9 10:59:17 PST 2006

I posted something on the topic,
for which Nick Frost gave me lots of info to deal with,

You'll need to run the math,

but after seeing the rants about raid cards going bad,
I'd be more inclined to the JBOD hardware setting along with soft RAID
looks like if running hardware RAID and you look for fail-proof setup,
you'll also need a spare RAID card, due to the proprietary issues
with the card

I don't know how much of the CPU the soft RAID will use,
but it looks like it is not too much, and that whichever CPU will
always be
far more than the chip in the raid card

http://linux.yyz.us/why-software-raid.html

The point is you might want to use a card to plug multiple devices,
(inexpensive JBOD kind of card)
but you might to run those under software RAID

We always bought a spare drive along with the live ones,

one of the servers we have has it already plugged in the card,
so if anything goes poof then it will re-construct automatically,

what I am dealing with now is the best way on having, i.e., a terabyte
and distribute that storage use among other servers, i.e. vmware
appliances

the OpenFiler distro looked fine, but I know nobody's experience on
using that or other,