[nmglug] Linux built SAN

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Mon Nov 13 12:46:47 PST 2006

Andres Paglayan wrote:
> thank you,
> it comes just in time, as I haven't make a decision yet,

Hi Andres;

Oh, good, I was hoping that was the case.  The only other option I
considered were some of the Supermicro cases that have fan assemblies in
them, but they are very expensive, I think the 3Ware drive cage is a
good solution.  The only other thing I'm not sure I mentioned are these;

110 Alert, temperature alarm for cases, making a noise when the temp
inside your case reaches above 110F

http://www.directron.com/110alert.html

which I think are a good idea for any custom file server type enclosure
that has lots of disks in it. Of course, if the machine is in a server
room running Linux (where an audible alarm might not be heard), I would
be inclined to compile an I2C capable kernel with the appropriate module
for the environment data chip (usually the Winbond 83627 these days),
and have a cron script that runs "sensors" every 15 mins and send email
if the temperature gets out of spec. I think the module on my AMD
machine is "w83627hf"

Winbond 83627EHG-A
http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2005-July/012996.html

Good Luck.